2014-10-17

Witches in fiction - Crafting Blooming Howls



(This is only the beginning of a story, based on a dream I had.
There is no real ending yet, so please bear with me.)



PANGAEA


Her dark coiled locks reach down her back, her face is creased from sun and wind and snow. The sealskins on her feet were thick and warm when she first set out, but now they are worn thin and offer little protection against the cold. She has walked for more than one moon and she does not know this terrain, but she eats the bark and berries her parents showed her during the winter moves. She has had almost as many winters as she has fingers and toes, but still she has no man. This makes her different than others. Some in her clan have stopped looking at her and speaking to her. They were happy when she was sent away.

At night the bones around her neck whisper to her, while she lies buried under the snow, sucking on the bitter root that her mother's mother, Batocke, taught her will keep the bad dreams away. She knows the bones are magical, as are the knots tied in between each smooth yellow piece. She touches the knots softly, one at a time, and speaks the names out loud to the night; Beautiful names of ancestors, of the lights in the sky, of the winds that carry Linash away each autumn and bring it back each spring, and of the Great waters to the west and south. She wraps the silver white wolf skin around her tight and most nights she falls asleep.

During day she walks. She walks across many different snows and ices. She kills a bird and eats it. The fire and the food warm her up a little bit, but the days are getting shorter and she has further to go. She has never been this far south before, but she has heard of the Great Water, a vast hunting ground with fish many times the size of humans. In her dreams she has seen what lies beyond the Great Waters too, for despite what the hunters say; It is not endless.

She does not like to think of another land, different from her own. It frightens her and the sights sometimes wake her up in a sweat. Instead she bows her head down and focuses on the rope tied to the kutie trailing behind her tugging at her waist, and the feel of the bones knocking against her breast. Her task is more important than her fears. She is to seek help, help for her clan. There is an illness spreading, one that takes children and grown and old alike.

Batocke said the hunters brought it with them when they came back from the summer wanderings. The old woman said they must have upset the Great Waters, that is why those that shared water with the hunters were falling ill. The hunters that lived Batocke sent away, but the curse had taken hold of the clan and more were still falling ill, several turns after the hunters left. Someone must go to the waters and make an offering, someone who had the curse but was spared.

When she fell ill she was scared and she thought of the things she never did, like lie with a man where the moss grows soft. But the fever ended and Batocke came to her and said; "You will go on a far away journey, alone, and you will save us". The necklace that holds the clans stories dangled around the old woman's neck when Batocke put a finger to her head and said: "Sights come to you". The older woman waited patiently until her daughter's daughter nodded, then she gave her the necklace and watched the younger woman's fear turn to pride.

She did not tell Batocke that when the sights come to her she does not see angry waters, and she did not tell the old woman that she does not intend to stop at the water's edge. As she closes her eyes against the snow wind she sees days on vast flat ice, she sees white birds and yellow land, she sees tall trees and greens she has never seen with her eyes open - and she sees other humans. No-one in her clan has ever met another human, and she knows of only one old story that speaks of them. But in the old story the other humans have a magic different from her clan's; the magic of healing.




Thank you, Magaly, for hosting such a wonderfully spooky party! 


 http://pagan-culture.blogspot.se/




As promised, here are the winners of


Meaning of Night - Strange Girl in a Little House
(Please email me your address!)

Twilight - Linnea på landet

Her Fearful Symmetry - Foxfire Musings
(Please email me your address!)

Micah + Strange Candy - Mindless Indulgence


The Dark Volume - Pagan Culture

Vampire Diaries - Roses and Vellum

The Little Stranger - Winter Moon



Congratulations to all the winners!
I'm not sure I'm able to get the books to you by Halloween
but I will try. Can you believe it's only two weeks away?

Happy Hauntings!






 




50 kommentarer:

  1. You are an amazing story teller! I want to know more! and I want sealskins for my feet, but I'd be stoned to death for that here in Canada!
    Thank you so much for " Bite"! Oh this winter will be tolerable thanks to my blog friends!
    Enjoy the weekend! before! rest up!! Huge Huga, xoDebi

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you very much!
      I am totally against seal hunting (and fur), but many thousands of years ago things were a little different :)

      Radera
  2. This is such a brilliant story, you have the most amazing dreams, and should definitely write stories based on them, more often. (More please!) :)

    Yay, I won a book too! Thank you my dear. What a lovely surprise! ♥

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. You are so sweet, thank you! I used to write more but never do nowadays. It's been forever since I read alot too.

      Radera
  3. Such a start! I am hoping that your dream's ending will become clear soon :)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. If my muse comes back I will definitely write it down, but for now there just isn't a simple second part to the story unfortunately.

      Radera
  4. You have a real talent for writing.

    SvaraRadera
  5. Just loved the story! You are an absolutely amazing writer, more in the future, yesssss!!!

    http://broomsticksandlace.blogspot.ca/2014/10/witches-in-fiction-2014-crafting.html

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you so much! I wish one could direct one's dreams, but mostly I have nightmares.

      Radera
  6. I just shrieked like a banshee and my Piano Man ran into the room to see if something was wrong, lol!

    This is a wonderful beginning! I see the world sprouting out of the ground, the main character being born (shaping things around her and shaping herself, too). I want to see the magic of these other humans, the colors she has never seen before; I want to know what happens next!

    And... wooohooo! I won a book. Thank you! ;-D

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I love that I made you shriek! If my muse visits me again I will post more parts, but for now my muse is dormant.

      Radera
  7. Totally fabulous character....look forward to reading more about her :D XXX

    SvaraRadera
  8. This is delightful, and reminds me of "Island of the Blue Dolphins" - a book I read and loved as a young girl. Your imagery paints a dreamy landscape, and brings sights and smells to life. Looking forward to more!

    I have emailed you my address, Thank you!!!
    -the Artful White Fox

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I had never heard of that so I looked it up, and what a fascinating and sad story it is! Imagine being the very last of your people, wow.

      I received your email, thanks!

      Radera
  9. Very cool. I love the imagery. Can't wait for more.

    Stopping by from the Crafting Blooming Howls blog hop!

    http://timbrannan.blogspot.com/2014/10/witch-crafting-celebrating-halloween.html

    SvaraRadera
  10. I really like this story, please tell me that there is more? I would love to see what the character finds, what she does when she finds it, and if she goes back! I was wondering what a Kutie was exactly, I tried to look it up but google fails.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. No more for now, sorry. If she visits my dreams again I will make sure to post though!
      You know, it's all made up :) I imagine the languages used many thousands of years ago are lost by now. Kutie in my story is a sled.

      Radera
    2. Awww, how can we get you to dream her more? LOL, it's a good cliffhanger!
      A sled, got it! Thank you for clarifying, i wondered that but I wasn't sure.

      Radera
    3. You know it's so weird, I usually don't dream stories at all - but then last night I dreamed again, this time a woman sent back from the future/to another dimension :)

      Radera
  11. Very haunting. Your use of words is very evocative, especially in conveying the loneliness of the character. Would love to see where this goes.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you very much! It's funny, I never saw her as lonely, but now as you point it out... :)

      Radera
  12. I need to read this when I am not so tired. There is The Ash Tree by M.R. James which is a great witch story. Scary too.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. That's how I felt about many of the party posts, so I've been catching up today :) I have to check out the story you mentioned.

      Radera
  13. A very worthy word journey. Thank you so much for sharing with us. It has a mystical, spellsong quality about it. I heartily approve. There will be more, I trust?

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you. There is no second part at the moment, but I have realized that I'm better at telling tales than stories through this challenge.

      Radera
  14. You are a truly gifted writer! I so hope you will continue with this story.

    SvaraRadera
  15. Oh wonderful! What a vivid a richly layered dream this must've been! I look forward to discovering what lies across the water and what she encounters along the way.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. It was a different dream experience for sure! Nothing like my usual pain-in-the-ass-dreams or straight up nightmares.

      Radera
  16. This is like the best tease ever!
    I do hope you continue to write more of this tale.
    Let me know when i can help you promote and sell it.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Well... that is really very kind of you to offer, but nothing I have written will be promoted or sold! I have not nearly the talent nor discipline required to be a writer.

      Radera
  17. OOh I won thanks! Don't worry if you can't get it to me by Halloween!

    I like this story beginning, you have a wonderful, evocative way with words! I hope you keep writing!

    SvaraRadera
  18. Mmmmm... this story is earthy and crunchy and solid. Lovely.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. What a lovely description, thanks!

      Radera
  19. I wanted to continue reading, this is a wonderful tale that hopefully you will return to, the characters are interesting and beg to be followed on their yet to be decided journey!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you Shelle! It's good to see you out and about in the blog world :)

      Radera
  20. Wonderful, Ms Misantropia! I really enjoyed reading this - I do hope your muse returns to your dreams soon so that we may continue to read more of this story!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you, that is very sweet of you to say!

      Radera
  21. THis was just perfect. I want to know more as the others have said. I'll cross my fingers and have good thoughts and maybe you'll share more.......hoping, Oma Linda

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you very much, Linda! Everyone is really very sweet in their comments.

      Radera
  22. I so enjoyed this peek into your dream world. What rich, vivid dreams you are blessed with. I love One line in particular, "At night the bones around her neck whisper to her,". It just begs to be painted. I do hope you find time to write more of her. Thank you for sharing, and happy Halloween!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you and oh, I would love to see someone (you) paint that image!

      Happy Halloween to you too :)

      Radera
  23. You should definitely carry on writing this, I was fully absorbed, didn't want it to end. :-)

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. That is very sweet of you to say. Maybe after Halloween, when I have more time :)

      Radera
  24. This young girls journey is so beautifully written. I sure hope this expands into a novel. It is one I would read with joy! Thank you!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I'm really blown away by yours and everyone's support, thank you so much!

      Radera

Lately I have been falling behind answering comments, for many reasons. But I read and cherish all of them! Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...