2017-07-14

I have a (Halloween) dream



Six years ago, almost to the day, I wrote a blog post about my dream vacation
(see full post below). This was before I had made the lovely blog friends I have today,
before I moved in with my ex and - before I turned 35 (!)

Well, darlings, this year the big 4-0  is coming up, I suddenly have a good income
and visiting my friends (Eastern) stateside is loooong overdue...
So, I have a question - what are you guys up to in October?
Any chance you are free and want to show a girl (well...) around?




When I was younger I traveled a lot, and I spent some time in the States.
I always said that I will go back. Well, I haven't really had a vacation for 2 years now,
and I still haven't gone back.  Now, my birthday is in October,
and Halloween is my favorite time of year, so I have this dream...

My dream vacation starts off with flying into NYC and spending a long weekend
shopping, wining and dining, and indulging in general celebration and pampering :)
Then we'll get a rental car and drive up north, to visit Sleepy Hollow and Salem.
Both towns host a myriad of different Halloween-festivities all through October,
and since they are only a few hours apart I'm thinking of spending at least a week
all dressed up, running through corn-maizes, taking haunted hayrides,
going to glamorous vampire-balls, joining in the parades
and learning about the legends of the two places. Sounds fantastic doesn't it?

Obviously, in my fantasy I am accompanied on this trip by someone equally crazy
about Halloween, and who doesn't mind spending a week dressed in Victorian garb,
but unfortunately I have yet to find this one person...
So, it looks like my plan will have to be pushed into the future,
maybe something for the "big" 35?


Well, until then here's a little inspiration:











25 kommentarer:

  1. Try to go up to Montréal it's gorgeous in October and we celebrate Halloween properly.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. It does sound great but I don't think I will have the time. One day I am gonna do Canada though - it's one of the more ambitious dream vacations I have :)

      Radera
  2. I do know this extremely good looking 40-year-old witchy woman, who happens to live just minutes from Sleepy Hollow *cough, cough (jumps around in mad excitement) cough*. :-D

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yes, she is very good looking indeed - and I would love to see here don a blood red velvet Victorian dress for Halloween :)

      Radera
  3. You have to blog about this adventure! Its going to be exciting and I hope that you have nothing but fun! *hugs*

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. If it happens, be sure I will blog my heart out about it! :)

      Radera
  4. Sounds so good! Wish I had enough money! Have fun!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Oh, or I hope you make it to Europe one day soon!

      Radera
  5. I'm glad you're doing so well, health-wise, job-wise, and can dream your travel dreams again!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you, dear friend! You don't live near NYC by any chance?

      Radera
  6. Holy Bats!!!! That's amazing! I'm about 5 1/2-6 hours away from NY but could certainly plan to be there for the weekend. And, I totally want to go to Sleepy Hollow Cemetery!!!! How exciting. :D

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Would you like to stay together at a B&B in Sleepy Hollow maybe? I just looked at their October schedule and it's crazy fab!

      Radera
  7. Hey Goth Gardener--in what direction? I'm just north of Washington. We might be creepy almost-neighbors!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Sharon (Goth Gardener) lives in Richmond VA, so not too far from you - maybe you guys could car pool to NYC in October ;)

      Radera
    2. Yep, GG should totally be part of my local creepy girls cabal. :)

      BTW, JW Ocker, of OTIS, has a book on his Halloween experience in Salem. He finds all the out-of-the-way stuff. I highly recommend it: https://smile.amazon.com/Season-Witch-Mayhem-Halloween-Massachusetts-ebook/dp/B01DOF577I

      Radera
    3. Sorry y'all, I'm taking a summer course that ends on Thursday and my head has been stuck in books while writing a paper.

      Yep, I'm in Richmond but I work in D.C. so we're about two hours from one another when I'm home, and close when I'm at work. **waves**

      Radera
  8. OMG if I can possibly swing it I would love to be part of that Halloween fan group!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Wouldn't it be great if a bunch of us got together? What a magical October it would be!

      Radera
  9. As you know from our conversation on FB, I won't be able to make it. Traveling from Texas to NYC in October is impossible. However, I will give you a bit of advice: if you want to do any of the events in Sleepy Hollow during October (The Blaze, Horseman Hollow, etc) you need tickets in advance .. like WAY in advance because they easily sell out by the end of August. Same goes for Salem. October is their HUGE month and if you want to stay in a hotel or B&B you probably should have booked it months ago. There might be rooms left, but I'm sure they're going for a pretty penny. These are popular events and places during October and that means those who make this an annual thing tend to gobble up tickets.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Could you recommend any places to stay? I'm not sure if you stayed in Sleepy Hollow or just commuted out there.

      I did a quick Google search and now my little goth eyes won't stray away from the Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson *swooning* Know if it's worth the ambiance/ double the hotel price?

      P.S. I miss you terribly! AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH! :D

      Radera
    2. Thank you for letting me know. Unless some of the others want to visit Salem I think I have removed it from the list (this time). NYC and Sleepy Hollow will suffice. Are there two Great Blazes - one in NYC and one in SLeepy Hollow? Magaly said she lives right across from one. Like Sharon said - do you have any tips for staying in Sleepy Hollow? I want to spend at least one night there.

      Radera
  10. This sounds so exciting!! Please, if you get together with Magaly or any of the other girls, take pictures!!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Oh you can count on it, my friend!

      Radera
  11. Well I do Hope your Bucket List Vacay is crossed off your list of things to do sooner than you predict! It sounds like a really good time and you shouldn't put it off too long or you'll regret never having done it!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. It will be! I can't believe how fast it's all gone but the flight is booked and I will be in NY in October!

      Radera

Your comments make my day, yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...